Friday 27 June 2014

A Picnic in my Backyard & Spellbound by Space

Blouse, skirt, cardigan and basket are thrifted | space shuttle necklace c/o Eclectic Eccentricity | astronaut necklace c/o Ginger Pickle | shoes were c/o Sammy Dress (years old) | socks from markets | cherries c/o Sarsparilly (actually a hairclip) | earrings are handmade by me

If you gave someone the task of creating "Annika's dream jewelry store", and this person knew me well, they would make it 1. Science-themed 2. Vintage-inspired 3. Handmade 4. Kitschy/novelty and 5. An alliterative brand name (pun optional, but highly recommended).

So when I visited Eclectic Eccentricity for the first time, I was fairly sure that I had made their store up in my head - because they are all of these things.

And then! - I found out that they wanted to work. with. me. And send me all the cute stuff. Eeeep! Yep, I thought, I have definitely dreamt this all up. So can you all please do me a favour - visit their website, and tell me if they really do exist? It still seems a little too good to be true!
The two space-themed necklaces that I'm wearing are pieces from Eclectic Eccentricity, though I actually got the astronaut necklace from Ginger Pickle a few months ago. I always wear the two necklaces together so I can pretend that the astronaut is Sandra Bullock, and the intense scenes from Gravity are playing out on my chest.
Yeah. I have way too much fun with my clothes.


So this seems appropriate considering my outfit - did you know that you can live-stream the Earth from space, from a camera mounted on the international space station (ISS)?
The ISS is a station (in space, as you may have guessed) where astronauts go to hang out, 410 kilometres above our heads, in orbit around the Earth. While there, the astronauts are usually involved in different biology, physics and chemistry experiments and observations.

Anyway, you can watch a live HD stream of the Earth below! If you just see a black screen, that means that it's currently night time for the ISS because the sun is on the other side of the Earth - but don't worry about waiting a whole 12 hours for it to get light again, because the ISS goes all the way around the earth in just 90 minutes!
So if the screen is blank, come back in about 45 minutes, and you'll see some amazing footage. I just watched the sun set behind the Earth and IT WAS AMAZING.

Hey, you're down there, somewhere. Wave for the camera!

Broadcast live streaming video on Ustream

This page shows exactly where the ISS is at any particular time of the day (so you can see if it's just about to pass over you!)









p.s. I made the earrings in my outfit. If I were to sell these (and these cute mushroom ones), would anyone be interested in buying them..?


Bloglovin' | Youtube | Facebook | Twitter |  Instagram | Chictopia | Lookbook | Tumblr

16 comments:

  1. Ahh so cute, I have a thing for Gingham and cherries at the moment so this outfit is perfect. Plus I'm forever a lover of space so everything about this is just perfect <3

    The Quirky Queer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a silver space shuttle on my charm bracelet that I got from the Kennedy space centre when I was about ten years old. it's one of my favourites (along with the tiny silver working abacus)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tiiiny working abacus?? That's so cool/super cute! Ohh, I would love to visit the Kennedy space centre so much, why must I live in Australia?

      Delete
  3. I love this outfit! the spaceman necklace is so cute!

    http://roseandvintage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute outfit. Your red hair is perfect with it!
    Outer space generally freaks me out, but that live stream is pretty cool haha! It's fascinating that it's possible for us to see.

    Miranda
    littlegoldpocketwatch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great gingham skirt and the jewelry pieces are wonderful. :) Your blog posts always inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this outfit! Gingham is certainly one of my favourite things ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you look like a magic space Dorothy.
    Where would you recommend buying clothes that reflect a style a bit like yours but are not too expensive? The most I can spend on one item is probably $60. thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can't recommend op shops enough! Hahaha. The most that I ever spend on one item of clothing is probably $4 ;)

      Also, you should definitely check out stores in the fashion directory I put together last year: http://www.pineneedlecollective.com/2013/09/ethical-clothing-directory.html

      :)

      I love the description magic space dorothy, by the way, haha ;)

      Delete
    2. Aw, well the only thrift stores around here are actually consignment stores which cost more. :( There IS a county thrift shop nearby, though so I'll have to check that out as well as your link. I'm glad my skills with adjectives please you! :D Thanks for your help.

      Delete
  8. Awwww! I love the spacey jewelry!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable! I love everything about this outfit from head to toe! So perfectly cute and everything matches <3 You look like a doll :)

    GIVEAWAY on my blog:

    http://badtastetoasttoast.blogspot.de/2014/06/lingering-petrichor-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Their stuff is wonderfully cute and definitely right up your alley! I love the astronaut necklace so much! This whole look is adorable. You can't go wrong with red, blue, & white!

    PetitePanoply.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those necklaces are so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, i am looking throught your blog and I have to say that you have such an interesting and unique style. Good job, girl! :)

    http://redlujzasdream.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those photos are just perfect. Love all the red and gingham. Plus, that jewelry is the cutest <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message! I read every single one. Don't forget to check back for a reply if you leave a question! ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails